Wielding the Weapon (and Crutch) of Wealth
In my last post, I encouraged everyone to 1) resist our natural temptation to divert our eyes from poverty and suffering and 2)seek out how we can each individually be a part of resolving acute suffering in the traumatic wake of what is taking place in Haiti. In this post I would like to warn everyone of the danger in recklessly wielding our "weapon of wealth" to "save the people of Haiti" and how "throwing money" at the situation could {in the long run} make things devastatingly worse, for them and for ourselves. Do not misunderstand me, this post is not about discouraging giving to relief agencies. It is about being wise in our giving and giving intententionally and eternally.
America is one of the wealthiest nations in the world. Let us not be deceived by our current situation- our standard of living (even in economic hardship) exponentionally exceeds that of 90% of the rest of the world. I truly believe this wealth has come as a blessing from the Lord, for the faithfulness of our ancestors and many of our founding fathers. And this wealth is departing us quickly because of our lack of faithfulness and turning from the Lord as a nation and a culture. In general, we as Americans are still very generous with our wealth, when you look at the numerical value of how much we give to those in need. But when you look at the percentage points of what we give in relation to what we have you quickly realize that our giving is often out of motivation to "ease our uneasiness" with the problem of poverty and suffering. This is a chronic situation of sin. Like the Pharisees, we tend to flaunt our giving before men so that we don't have to really invest our lives or actually make a sacrifice for those in need.
American Christians are not any better (let's not deceive ourselves, people. We are still Americans and still sinners who carry this nature in our heart). So, we might not always flaunt it before others. No, no. We are holier than that :) We may give in secret, and it might actually be a sacrifice for us. But, as Christians we must ask the tough question of "What is our motivation in giving?" We should always ask this question, and not just with our money but with our time and commitments as well. Satan is a sly deceiver, and we are easy prey. We over-commit overselves, give more than we have, spend more than we need, and run around doing so many good deeds that we have no time for communion in the Word. And then we wonder why people don't see the difference between the Church and the World. We're easy prey, and we take the bait. So, with the crisis going on in Haiti, let's ask the question: Am I sending my money to truly invest in the salvation of the people, or am I sending my money so that when I look at those images and hear those stories, I can now say with ease "Well, I've done my part. I sent money."
Yes, money is needed. Especially in post-traumatic events. Yes, lives need to be saved. Yes, acute suffering needs to be ended. Yes, people need clean drinking water and medicines and security from crime. But these "vital needs" cause our chronic situation of sin to rise into acute exacerbation of sin when we confuse "life needs" with "eternal needs". At the core of our beings, these things are not what we truly need for Living. We truly need Jesus. What good our we doing the people of Haiti (or Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Africa, or anywhere) if we rush in to save the day, and later {when things are still in shambles- which they will inevitably be...remember their underlying chronic situation before the earthquake}, we say,
"Well, we've done everything we can do to help..."?
And that is the crux of the question. As Christians, have we done everything we can do to help? Money does not save a culture, Christ does. Do not allow the Enemy to deceive you into thinking you have done anything to help if your plan is to just send money. Money is just an instrument, a tool used to accomplish something. Money in and of itself has never truly fixed anything, and most of the time it has turned into a crutch on the society in which it is intended to serve. But, if you are a believer, than you are called to do one of two things: to Go, or to Send. And Sending does not involve just money (I know, shocker!). It is just as laborious a task as Going. I won't get into that soapbox, but either way, we are called to get our feet wet, get our hands dirty, and get our hearts torn for the lost. The way a culture is changed is by people identifying with the plight of the lost, and introducing Christ into that dark place. It's not a quick fix, and it takes years and years and years and years of many, many, many people surrendering all they have for the sake of the lost sheep.
So, let's come to grips with our chronic sinful nature and its acute exacerbation during this time of immense need. Ask yourself the hard question, "What is my motivation?" If the answer is not wholeheartedly and completely "Christ!" than there is yet some work to be done in our hearts. And let me say this: I'll be the first one to raise my hand and say "There is yet some work to be done in my heart." Honestly- the quicker that I can find a way to send money, the quicker I can get back to packing boxes and making my house look suitable and perfect and ready to be put on the market. I can look at the images and tell myself, "Well, I sent money", and pat myself on the back and move on. Shameful. It really is.
Jesus, may you work your salvation through the depths of this sinful heart. I need your saving grace as much as those living in immense poverty. I need to be broken over their poverty, their suffering, and their lack of ANY knowledge that you even exist. I admit that I take your salvation for granted every single day, and if I only had a fraction of your heart for the lost... I would throw everything down right now and scream the Good News from the roof tops. Change my heart, that others might know your Grace. Fill their stomachs with the goodness of your Word, and increase my hunger to come feast at your table. Amen.





"Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.' And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So, the wedding hall was filled with guests."
Matthew 22:8-10



No comments:
Post a Comment